Thursday, October 21, 2010

How I Rate Hotels

As many of you know, I travel very frequently for my job.  And by frequently, I mean I am gone anywhere from 1 night to 3 nights about each week. 

So naturally, hotels are my like my second home.  I travel to 3 different cities and most of the time, I stay in the same few hotels.  As of lately, I've been booked in some hotels I haven't stayed in, making me realize I've become very critical of hotels.

So, I've decided to share my list of things I look for in a satisfactory hotel.  Now once you read this, you might think I'm awfully picky.  But remember, I hit these hotels very frequently and normally after a long, tiring day of traveling and working.  So something as small as not being able to find a parking spot at your hotel OR not having automatic doors, can be very upsetting.
Remember, that I'm not staying in fancy hotels.  These are your run-of-the-mill Hampton's, Hilton Garden's, Wyndham's, Fairfield's, Double Tree's, etc.
I will rank each hotel after my visit using a very scientific method...a scale of 1 to 5 plush robes.
Plush robes, you ask!?  A plush robe is one of my favorite amenities, and I happen to have a picture of myself in one...so plush robes it is!!  :-D

    1 Plush Robe:  Terrible.  This hotel is probably dirty, dated and slightly shady.




2 Plush Robes: Unsatisfactory.  I've stayed in worse, but I will definitely try and avoid this hotel in the future.









3 Plush Robes: Satisfactory.  Has most of what I'm looking for, but probably falls short in several categories.
4 Plush Robes: Great. I'm very happy to stay here, but it might be lacking in a few small details.






5 Plush Robes: Excellent. I have no complaints.  When can I move in?


Here are the categories I'll be judging and the specifics I look for within each category.
First Impression:
--Is there enough guest parking (well lit parking lot) and is it a short walk to the entrance?
--Are there automatic doors? 
It’s never fun to try and balance your purse, luggage, dinner, and try opening a door when you are traveling alone!
--Does the lobby offer snacks or drinks?  This is an added bonus and might add a plush robe! 
My personal favorite is lemon water, cucumber water, chocolate chip cookies, etc.
Check-in Process:
--Is the desk attendant fast, friendly and efficient?
I’m all for a little friendly chit chat, but get down to business, and get me my room!  Also, too many questions can be a little awkward…especially if the attendant is a male.  “What are you here for?”, “Who do you work for?”, “Where do you normally stay?”, etc.
--Do they accommodate special requests? 
I prefer to not be on the first floor, so honoring simple requests like that goes a long way.
--Is my room easily accessible?
Anything involving looking at a map, having to re-park my car or having to go back outside is a real hassle in my mind!
Room comfort and convenience:
--Does the room smell good or at least odorless?
--Is the decor updated?
Anything involving gold, maroon, and forest green probably hasn’t been updated since the early 90’s.
--Is there a Coffeemaker? Are cream and sugar available?
Personally, I prefer the simple Wolfgang Puck coffeemakers where you put one cup of water in the top, a small “pod” of coffee and hit brew.  I also prefer if they have “real” creamer as opposed to the non-dairy powder.
--Is there a refrigerator?  This is valuable on stays longer than 1 night, but even then, it's a plus! (or should I say plush!)
--Is there free Wifi? 
I only count this as a “yes” if it WORKS CONSISTENTLY.  A lot of hotels have "free wifi", but it might not work if you are higher than the 2nd floor or simply has an inconsistent signal.
--TV:  I don’t require a flat screen, however something bigger than 25” is preferred.  Also, are there a wide variety of channels offered?  Bravo, HBO, etc. are some of my favorites.
If the TV is static or the batteries are dead in the remote, the hotel would definitely lose plush robes here.
--Power Outlet:  Is there a conveniently located power outlet?  If I have to charge my phone across the room or have to move furniture to access an outlet, I’m annoyed.
Amenities:
--Is there a workout facility?  Is it updated, clean , and offer more than just a stationary bike?  Is there a TV in the workout room?
--Do they offer breakfast?  I prefer fresh fruit, hot breakfast options and definitely coffee.
--Do they offer clean, fluffy plush robes?  This of course, is an added bonus!
Stay tuned for future hotel reviews!!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! The plush robe images of Gabby Abby are awesome. :)

    Thanks for sharing these tips...and ewwww, to personal questions at the front desk.

    ReplyDelete