Sunday, October 10, 2010

I pink I can, I pink I can...

2010 Race For the Cure
Team "Keepin' 'em Real"

As many of you know, both Matt's mom and my mom were diagnosed with breast cancer about a year or so ago.  They both underwent surgeries and have been cancer free since.  We are so thankful that both of them are healthy and doing great a year later!
This year, Matt's family and some of his mom's friends all participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure downtown Chicago.  We went to Chicago to participate in the event as well.  Matt ran the 10k and I ran the 5k.
If you know me, you know that I am not a long distance runner.  I've actually never ran more than 2 miles in my life!  So the thought of running a 5k was definitely daunting and my goal was just to run the whole thing--which I did!  I was super excited to discover that I could run that far.  The picture below is a "reenacted finish".    :-) 


Here are my stats...nothing impressive, but I thought I'd share:
Time: 35 min 2 sec
Place: 875 out of 1334

Matt's 10k stats:
Time: 46 min 6 sec
Place: 47 out of 1012



After the race, I was lucky enough to witness Matt's Uncle Rick's retro fashion statement and couldn't resist posting a picture of this!!  These are Zubaz pants straight from the 80's, I believe. 



Here's a close-up of the pattern...classic!

5 comments:

  1. LOVE the super hero shirt!! ...and the pants!! :) Congrats, you did it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide what I like most about this post...the witty title or the awesome close-up of the Zubaz pants :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha, so cute. I always thought they were 'zumas' but I stand corrected. So glad I read this, or I would have called them that the rest of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abbey,
    Thank you so much for allowing the world to see my dad's pants. Just wait till you come to my house for a holiday and see his slippers. My Dad's fashion is one of a kind.

    Jacqi

    ReplyDelete