Monday, June 3, 2013

Sandbox!

I really really wanted to build a sandbox for Evelyn.
I had dreams of pinterest creations...similar to these...
 




But alas, all of these take time and money. And with Matt's growing list of projects to complete, I decided to take matters into my own hands and go on a quest to make the cheapest, easiest sandbox around!

First task was to think of something I could easily cover (to keep out bugs, dirt, rain, and most of all lurking neighborhood cats). I decided on using a large, shallow rubbermaid container (one intended for under-the-bed storage). 
Then I was on a search for sand. I really wanted white sand, but apparently that can only be special ordered. And considering I wanted instant gratification (and something budget friendly), I opted for regular/natural colored sand. I found 50 lb. bags for less than $5 at Home Depot! (I bought two bags, although I only needed one to fill the bin. But I'm expecting quite a bit of "loss", so I'll probably need it for refill)
I had Matt prop the sand box up on extra stone stepping tiles we had so it would be at Evelyn's waist height.

I only bought one sand toy (wheel spinny thing) for $2.99 at Target, all the other toys, we had at home. (kitchen utensils work great too!)
Since I had the rubbermaid bin at home, I really only paid for the sand. Score! 
This has definitely been a favorite outdoor activity. :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment